Saturday, May 12, 2007
Lots of LDS themed stupidity going on.

Al Sharpton? Why does that man have a national voice? Why is he given the opportunity to speak in public? What does he offer society besides controversy and idiocy?

"The Mormons" aired a few days ago. 4 hours of documentary misrepresentation. Sort of. I actually thought the film was done pretty well. Except for the understated slant. There was a tangible bias there, a negativism that came out in the music, artwork, and the overall voice of the film. I've even heard it called a wolf in sheep's clothing. Interesting way to look at it.

Mitt continues to impress. When will the nation realize that he is by far the best Republican candidate? He is articulate, he thinks before he speaks, he answers tough questions with candor and honesty. He fixes things. Party lines aside, people would be hard pressed to find a better candidate for the President. I am not just saying this. I actually believe it.

September Dawn will no doubt add fuel to the anti-Mormon push. The tag line is classic. "The Truth will be revealed". Yes, because Hollywood is historically known for telling nothing but the truth.

I wonder if the people behind all this negativism realize that the so called insights and expertise they offer are old hat. This church has put up with this stuff for 177 years. We have seen it all before.
 
posted by Grizzly Adam at 8:36 PM
4 Comments:


At May 16, 2007 at 12:01 PM, Blogger LJABC and D

I am so glad that you have a blog and I love reading it. It's nice to have a place to write your thoughts and share them. I have to disagree about the PBS special though, I felt that the good feelings I got from watching it outweighed the bad significantly. As a church, we have some skeletons in the closet and that's what people who know about the church want to have cleared up. Hopefully, we can be known more for our works and testimonies than for what has happened in the past. The friends of mine in CT (who are not members of the church) who watched it thought that it was very informative. Even they could sense the bitterness and negative slant in some parts of the special. Those were not the parts that stayed with them the most. They were impressede with our history and our dedication to making the world a better place. It defintely was not a church-produced "inspiring" video, but I think it did what it set out to do. I just think it was neat to have a national audience, especially because so many people really have no idea who we are as a people, what we have been through, or what we believe.
We sure miss all of you and hope you are doing well, please tell everyone hi for us! We're off to Birmingham next week!

 

At June 11, 2007 at 7:04 PM, Blogger Jared

Don't ask me how I found your blog, but I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment.

As an LDS living in New Zealand, I have kept a watchful eye on Romney running for president. Although it is mentioned from time to time, by and large members here are uninterested, but that may change closer to elections and once (or if) Romney looks like a genuime contender.

I was interested to see your reference to September Dawn and will keep an eye out for that later this year. Earlier this year Big Love was screened on NZ tv. i know it created a bit of a stir over there in the US (probably utah in particular) but it barely even made a mention here (at least the mormon side of things).